If you have invested in a new and expensive floor then you’ll want to keep it looking new and fresh for as long as you can. Whether it is carpet, tiles or hardwood flooring you will want to ensure that your new floor lasts the test of time. There are various tips for keeping your new floors looking newer for longer depending what floor surface you have.
Hardwood flooring can be an expensive investment so you will want to ensure it is looked after.
- Cleaning – You need to ensure that you clean your wooden flooring on a regular basis to prevent stubborn dirt becoming trapped within the grooves. Make sure you vacuum the flooring to remove any gritty or sharp pieces of dirt as these may scratch the flooring or leave marks on the floor. Purchase yourself some cleaning solution that is designed for wooden flooring as normal tile and floor cleaners may be too strong and may damage the surface of your floor.
- Movement – It is common for wooden flooring to swell and shrink. This is normally due to temperature change but it can cause gaps between panels which can be detrimental to your flooring. If you start to see any gaps appearing then it is important that you try to close the gaps as soon as possible. The problem with wooden flooring is moisture and the colder temperatures mixed with humidity from fires and heating will remove moisture from the floor.
- Vacuuming – By carrying out regular vacuuming you will prevent dirt, debris and smells becoming trapped in the fibres of your carpet. Regular vacuuming will also keep the fibres fluffed up in high traffic areas. It is easy for a carpet, especially a woollen one to begin to appear flatter in high traffic areas. If you have patches of flatness then extra vacuuming in that area may help.
- Stains – If you spill something on your carpet then make sure you attend to the stain as soon as possible. The longer you leave the stain the harder it may be to remove. If you are going to use stain removers then it is best to do a test in an unseen area to check it does not damage the carpet. Do not rub the surface with an abrasive cloth as this may damage the fibres of the carpet. Always allow the area to dry naturally and do not be tempted to use a hair dryer or heater as this may burn the carpet and discolour it.
- Smells – If you have pets then unfortunately you may find that your carpet begins to hold an animal odour. If this is the case there are various products on the market to remedy the smells. However, as with all chemicals you need to do a test spot first to check it does not react badly with your carpet. Used on a regular basis along with vacuuming you can combat that odour.
If you follow these handy tips for your flooring then you should prolong the new and fresh look from day one. Flooring needs extra care as it unfortunately encounters high traffic, spills and stains, dirt and scratches and much more. With a bit of care and maintenance you can keep your flooring looking newer for longer.